The Charleston City Fire Department is a vital part of the community, providing fire protection and emergency medical services to the city's residents and visitors. The department has a long and storied history, dating back to the early days of the city's founding.
The first fire department in Charleston was established in 1788, and it was made up of a group of volunteers. The department was responsible for fighting fires and providing medical assistance. In 1825, the department became a paid department, and it has been providing professional fire and emergency medical services ever since.
The fire service in Charleston was mainly made up of volunteer firefighters until 1882, when Mayor William Courtenay established the first paid firefighters in the city. This worked until a devastating earthquake in 1886 wiped out much of the city and caused many fires.
Due to a lack of preparedness, the fire department was restructured, and three new stations were added from 1887-1888. Central Station was the headquarters until 1974.
The station houses two engines and a marine response vehicle. Alongside the active vehicles, the station houses two antique CFD fire engines. There are also legends of the stairs being steep in order to keep the horses from climbing them at night.
The Charleston City Fire Department is a highly trained and professional organization. The department's firefighters are constantly training to stay up-to-date on the latest fire and emergency medical techniques. The department also has a strong commitment to community outreach and education.
The Charleston City Fire Department is a valuable asset to the community. The department's firefighters are dedicated to protecting the lives and property of the city's residents and visitors.
Subscribe to our mailing list to stay up to date on amazing things to see and do in Charleston.